Swim Until You Can't See Land

on Sunday, November 01, 2009
Frightened Rabbit are probably one of my top 5 favourite bands. Over the course of their two studio albums, they've demonstrated the wonderful Scottish melancholy that sets in when it seemingly rains all the time. Or maybe that's just been my several unlucky experiences in Scotland.


A new album is on its way, preceded by the 'Swim Until You Can't See Land' single. The horns and string arrangements give the single a wonderful richness but I can't help feeling that it's a little tepid in comparison to Frightened Rabbit's previous output. It's a decent effort but I'm hoping there'll be a bit more bite to the album.

The signs aren't great, though. In a MySpace blog post, they describe the single as "summing up the record". In effect, I'm asking the band to be a bit more passionately miserable. Is that an oxymoron? Maybe I mean miserably passionate. Either way, fairly shameful on my part.

Perhaps of more pressing interest, the band are playing a secret gig at The Lexington in London on the 6th. Tickets are being sold online from 9am on Monday 2nd Nov. That's tomorrow folks. Set your alarms. If like me you are sadly preoccupied at that moment in time, you can imagine what it'd be like from this clip on the BBC2 Culture Show. I've ripped the mp3 below.


'Swim Until You Can't See Land' is available to preorder now at FatCat Records prior to its 16th Nov release.

MySpace // Twitter

msn spaces tracker
-